Matthew N. Steele
Senior Managing Director
(312) 498-4829 | email@example.com
Mr. Steele has over 20 years of experience providing valuation services to clients in various industries including media, entertainment, sports, consumer products, and industrial products. Mr. Steele provides valuations of business equity, intangible assets, partnership interests, employee stock options, and other corporate assets and liabilities for clients with valuation issues related to acquisitions/divestitures, joint ventures, IPOs, shareholder disputes, federal and state tax planning, financial reporting (ASC 805 and ASC 350), and strategic planning. He also has experience performing balance sheet solvency analyses for purposes of fraudulent conveyance claims.
Mr. Steele is responsible for relationship development and project leadership on complex business valuations. His representative engagements include:
- Providing purchase price allocation and valuation services to Fortune 500 companies on transactions ranging in value from $10 million to $24 billion;
- Determination of the reorganization value and application of fresh start accounting for various businesses in connection with the emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy;
- An asset impairment valuation analysis under ASC 350 for a Fortune 500 client resulting in a multi-billion dollar intangible asset write-down;
- Providing purchase price allocations and valuation analyses to the acquirers of NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL franchises;
- Balance sheet solvency valuation analysis for a multi-billion dollar media company in connection with a fraudulent conveyance claim;
- A valuation of equity options and other complex derivatives for tax and financial reporting purposes;
- A valuation of undeveloped intellectual property to be donated to a non-profit organization; and
- Performed numerous balance sheet solvency valuation analyses as financial advisors to the Examiner of Residential Capital, LLC (“ResCap”), the largest bankruptcy filing in 2012.
Mr. Steele has been a guest speaker on valuation issues at New York University, Northwestern University and the University of Notre Dame. He is also a member of the Appraisal Issues Task Force which focuses on improving valuation practices in financial reporting. In 2013, Mr. Steele was a recipient of the M&A Advisor “40 under 40” Award.
Mr. Steele’s previous work experience includes Mesirow Financial Consulting, Standard & Poor’s and the financial advisory services group of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
M.B.A., Finance and Strategic Management, Northwestern University Kellogg Graduate School of Management
M.S., Professional Accounting, Michigan State University
B.A., Finance, Michigan State University
Certified Public Accountant
Accredited in Business Valuation
Certification in Distressed Business Valuation
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Appraisal Issues Task Force (“AITF”)
Business Valuation Association
Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
Association for Corporate Growth
The Detroit Economic Club
Honors and Awards
M&A Advisor “40 Under 40”, 2013